Saturday, March 25, 2017

Friendly Repro Center

I've bounced so many ideas around for my center block. I knew I wanted to use 1930s repros.  The quilts I love most and that inspire me were made by my grandmothers and great-grandmother using feedsacks and fabric from clothing. Most of those would have been from the 30s and 40s. So I wanted to honor them and acknowledge their inspiration.  I considered several possible appliques and a number of traditional blocks and then I saw a Friendship Star Wreath. It was done in all neutrals.. white back ground with tan stars. Honestly that didn't do much for me, but I loved the layout and I could see it made with repros against a lovely white background. I wasn't sure what size HSTs and squares were used so I had to play around with that a bit. Finally settled on 2 1/2" unfinished. That was as small as I was willing to go!  There are imperfections and one star that just never would play nice.. but I decided that is ok. For one this.. this is a for fun project.. and also we are all wonderful but not perfect and over the years we have had a few members who didn't play nice (none still here!).  So I think that off kilter block fits! Here you go..... my friendly repro center...

1 comment: